In this article, we will learn how to install a streaming video server on your computer. We’ll use the Ubuntu operating system and ffmpeg as our media player of choice. Not only can you host videos from other sources like YouTube or Udemy courses, but you could also stream live events with ease by setting up an Internet connection for yourself at home.
The “create your own video streaming server with windows” is a tutorial that will teach you how to create a streaming video server on your computer. The tutorial includes screenshots and step-by-step instructions.
Programs that allow you to transfer films and movies from your PC to other devices through the internet.
The numerous websites that give links to view streaming videos do not host such material on their computers, instead relying on other platforms where the videos are physically located.
Those who do not want to start risky and demanding online activities but above all who have no desire to start uploading films or videos can share streaming movies, videos and music on your computer, without uploading anything to external sites but still making the resource accessible to anyone with the right link to access.
In the guide that follows we will show you the best multimedia streaming servers that can be installed on your PC, so you can share the videos without having to upload them but by generating a link to share with friends. The streaming flow will be managed by our Internet connection: for this type of sharing we must make sure that we have at least 10 Megabits per second in upload, so that we can manage a good number of requests without saturating the personal Internet connection.
READ ALSO -> How to create a private YouTube channel for family, friends and colleagues
For PC, the best streaming servers
We’ve compiled a list of the finest video streaming servers that can be installed on your PC below. Using a link system or a username and password access system, these servers index one or more video folders and make them accessible for streaming to internal network devices as well as distant devices.
1) The best server we can install on our computer is Plex Media Server, one of the reference points of the category. By installing this server we can index all the videos on the computer, access them from other devices connected to the network (using the Plex app or DLNA) and, by logging into the Plex account, obtain remote streaming of the contents present on PC, both for personal purposes (always have your library at hand) and to share videos and movies to family and friends (on their Plex accounts). For this purpose, we suggest you read the official guides on how to configure remote access and how to share a personal video on other Plex accounts. If we have never used Plex, we can also read ours complete guide to Plex.
2) Other media server with remote content sharing is Emby. By installing this server on your computer, you can index the videos, photos and music in the dedicated folders on your computer and, after configuring everything you need, access the videos from another PC on the same network or from a remote computer. To configure the server we suggest you read the guides on Emby remote connection and Emby Connect. Also on Emby we can read ours complete guide to Emby.
3) A good alternative to the servers seen so far is Stremio, which as the name suggests provides a media server to be installed on the PC to provide streaming content without using external sites or servers. After installation, all we have to do is index the contents on the PC and view them on the local network (with DLNA or with the Stremio app) or start remote access, so as to be able to view the entire catalog outside the home or share only some videos with friends and family.
4) OwnCloud is a free program that turns your computer into a streaming server. When the software is running on the PC, any other device that has internet access can also view any video file that is shared on the streaming server. Installation is really simple: just download the Emit program and install it on the computer you want to use as a server (Mac, Windows or Linux). Music, Pictures and Videos folders can be added. It becomes clear then that if one uses a lot of computers or if he travels a lot, he can configure the home PC as a media server, keep it on and then, wherever he goes, watch the movies, which that pc has, in streaming, without wasting time downloading.
5) Syncthing offers a remote folder sharing system, which can also be configured for streaming access only (without downloading any content locally). After installing the server and adding the Video folders or other multimedia folders, simply share the content for streaming access, using a dedicated username and password. On this server we have made a guide on how create a personal Cloud Server on your PC, unlimited and free.
6) Another free and easy solution to create a sort of streaming server involves the use of pCloud. This server allows you to share personal PC folders and make them accessible via the Internet from anywhere, you just need to know the sharing links and use the access password chosen when configuring the remote access.
7) Tonido is a program that installs a file server on your computer and allows you to share the entire multimedia library you have on your computer. We will be able to put your photos, music and videos online on your computer, but without uploading them to the internet. The PC, also in this case, becomes a server multimedia to which you can connect from other computers.
Using the LAN network (for local access) and the Internet connection, we will be able to broadcast amateur movies made with our video camera, footage of key events, and so on using a media server installed on our PC (for access remotely). We will not need to post the video anyplace since it will be available in streaming as if it were any other online video, reducing boredom caused by long transfer periods.
On the same topic we can read our guides on how Watch videos via wifi network or from the internet on iPhone and iPad and how Watch streaming videos on Android over the network from your PC or via the internet.
The “video streaming server open source” is a project that allows users to create their own video streaming server on your computer. It is an open-source project and can be found online.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I setup my own streaming video server?
A: There are many free streaming services like Youtube and Twitch that can be used as a video server. A few of the more popular ones include OBS, Streamlabs, NVENC for Nvidia GPUs, and XSplit.
How do I make my computer a media server?
A: There are many ways to make your computer a media server, but the easiest way is by using Plex Media Server. It is free and you can simply install it onto your hard drive or into another USB device that has enough space for the files. You will need some sort of internet connection in order to use it though.
How do I turn my computer into a streaming box?
A: The first step is to download and install a streaming program such as Kodi. Once this has been done, you can then use the username username and password password setup on your device to access your account from any other computer in order to stream content.
- best video streaming server
- how to make video streaming server
- create rtmp server
- video streaming server free
- rtmp server free